Friday, February 8, 2019

An ending...


The rabbit died.

Anakin Midnight Kimchi Watson Johnson, who was tremendously loved by his owner and her sister, brought much joy into our house when he came home on Valentine’s Day in 2016. He asked for little, and brought us so much.

In February of 2016, my divorce became final. As we all know, I was consumed inside of a grief that truly threatened to eat me alive. Into this life came this bunny. Honestly, Anakin came to us because I just couldn’t deny Betsy anything at that point-I didn’t have any strength to tell the girls no. (They enjoyed this version of me.)

I had no idea how to care for a rabbit. But the three of us learned. Anakin represented a new chapter in our lives, the one that involved only the three of us. We built his outdoor cage all by ourselves, we played with him and learned to protect our feet around him because he did like to chew on our toes.

Anakin was meant to be for Betsy and Felicity. He was meant to be their pet, he was meant to make up for the fact that their dad had left and their mom had fallen apart and the world that they knew didn’t exist anymore.

He did all of that.

In addition, though, he gave me a reason to get up when the girls were gone. I have come to realize that the most wonderful thing about pets is that they simply do not know that you are barely holding it together, they don’t know that you feel about 2 inches tall and full of such anxiety about the future that you are merely existing minute to minute.

Anakin brought joy into our lives at a time that joy felt long ago and far away.

He will be much missed.





No comments:

Post a Comment