Monday, February 25, 2019

Glory Days...


Lately, these girls and I have been living like it’s 1993. It’s pretty glorious.

We have hit the pinnacle of the Brenda/Dylan/Kelly triangle. For context, the Joy of the early 90s loved Dylan and Brenda, and pretty much hated this triangle for ruining what seemed a perfect, if intense, high school romance. (There is an early Brenda/Dylan scene that I adored where Dylan smashes a huge flower urn, causing Brenda to flee, and he chases after her and apologizes-this scene encapsulated to me exactly what I wanted in a boyfriend, someone with tons of spit and cuss but who directed only love at me. This explains so much. But I’ll leave it at that.)

The girls, on the other hand, really love Kelly, and have basically since we started watching. So I was anxious to see their reaction. This has been Betsy’s, “I like Kelly better with Dylan. But Dylan should break up with Brenda instead of going between the two.”

Goodness. On one hand, I am so ridiculously proud of her for realizing that it is Dylan who is basically the louse in this situation. On the other, I am like, why did I never see that it wasn’t necessary for these best friends to get into a catfight over this boy, when he could have just been honest with both of them?

My girls are forever teaching me all the things.

Things I’m loving right now:

The Oscars always make me happy. I love watching the pretty clothes, I love the celebration of movies because I am a complete movie geek, even if I haven’t seen most of the movies that they are talking about. I don’t believe at all in the actual awards themselves-the best movie is just the movie that you liked the best. For me last year that was Mary Poppins Returns. But I absolutely loved Olivia Coleman’s acceptance speech, because it seemed so genuinely off the cuff. I loved Spike Lee because I think Do The Right Thing is a work of art and I’m glad that he worked in a reference to it. And I love Lady Gaga because, as I told the girls, I don’t want to live in a world where there isn’t a Lady Gaga.

Bob Costas, Unplugged

This read is incredible and important. I have had a crush on Bob Costas for most of my life, and this article confirms all of my impressions-he is a thoughtful, intelligent person sportscaster who isn’t afraid to ask hard questions.

"I am not a Howard Cosell at the end of his career deciding he doesn't like boxing," Costas says. "I decided long ago that I had misgivings about football, and I tried to use the forum they gave me to make those points. They gave me bits and pieces, but eventually they took those bits and pieces away from me."

1993, by the way, was a fabulous year in my life. I was 14 years old, with a world full of dreams still to live and boys still to love (I will forever love Tommy Werner with all of the love of a girl convinced that love is slow dancing to Everything I Do, I Do It For You at a middle school dance).

No comments:

Post a Comment