Sunday, December 27, 2015

My grown-up movie weekend...

Okay, so finally, something different is willing to come pouring from my fingertips and into cyberspace. Movies.

I see a lot of movies, if that isn't obvious from my Facebook and Twitter feed. I see pretty much every kid movie that comes to the theater, and I've now entered into a tween genre as well, which mostly seems to include lots of apocalyptic stuff. But I go to the movies nearly every weekend, and so on the weekends that I am kidless, that means I get to see anything that the girls might not be interested in seeing.

This weekend that included two movies, one which I got to see with my sister, and the other which I saw alone. I am getting much more at ease about seeing a movie by myself-I'm pretty sure that the people that work at the movie theater know me, so I'm likely that sad lady who sometimes has kids with her and sometimes is all alone, dateless on a Saturday night. My, that is a depressing thought. But I do believe that everything that I'm doing at the moment is leading me to wherever the heck it is that I'm supposed to end up, and so learning to entertain myself seems a big part of that.

Anyway, I digress. The movie that I saw with my sister was, naturally, Sisters. It's funny and raunchy and the kind of movie that a few years ago we would have all been like, oh my goodness, women can be vulgar just like guys. But in the years since Bridesmaids, Melissa McCarthy has made a career of those movies. So it's not shocking. But it is gross and hilarious and just enough of a literal mess to make my OCD sister squirm in her seat for the majority of the movie. Tina Fey is the oversexed, messed up sister, Amy Poehler is the uptight, do good, divorced sister in need of both a man and a drink. One of the biggest differences between raunchy girl comedy and raunchy boy is the heart, and this one delivers on that front-it's point is that who you are at 13 is not who you have to be a 40. Which is true, to a degree. I'm still so much like my nerdy 13 year old self, it's hard to completely buy that.

The second movie that I watched was Joy. Of course. It's a movie about a woman who pulls herself from the depths of despair to be a millionaire. A woman who gets divorced but ultimately is such good friends with her ex that he helps her on her journey. A woman who is at a loss for exactly how to take care of everyone in her life, but who is ultimately the savior of her family. And her name is Joy, for goodness sake. So yes, I had to see it. Jennifer Lawrence does an excellent job, as she seemingly does in every role she has ever had. The movie is a bit all over the place, but it means well.

I did not walk away from the movie with a magical map to the answer to how exactly to fix my life. But that is likely the point. This Joy could not have imagined that one day a mop would be the answer to all of her prayers. Heaven knows what my answer is. Surely not a cleaning product. But this rabbit hole is leading to somewhere.

4 comments:

  1. I miss movies alone having 2 girls who are not ready for going to the movies yet I do not get to see many. I have threatened to go to see Star Wars alone if Tony doesn't agree to take me and have seen a slew of movies on "girls night"s that i would never have seen of my own accord like Shades of Grey and Magic Mike. I always liked going to movies on my own and i hope you soon feel like the strong woman who is seeing what she wants when she can and doesn't have to wait for company. You are strong. Own it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Chelle, I miss seeing movies with you! One of my favorite memories ever is of you and me watching Something Special at the Cinema Shoppe and just how funny we made that movie. I have tried to describe it to people in my life since, but there is no replicating it. I promise, I am comfortable seeing movies alone-but I won't complain if someday, some guy wants to sit next to me.

      Delete
    2. Oh, Chelle, I miss seeing movies with you! One of my favorite memories ever is of you and me watching Something Special at the Cinema Shoppe and just how funny we made that movie. I have tried to describe it to people in my life since, but there is no replicating it. I promise, I am comfortable seeing movies alone-but I won't complain if someday, some guy wants to sit next to me.

      Delete
  2. I miss movies alone having 2 girls who are not ready for going to the movies yet I do not get to see many. I have threatened to go to see Star Wars alone if Tony doesn't agree to take me and have seen a slew of movies on "girls night"s that i would never have seen of my own accord like Shades of Grey and Magic Mike. I always liked going to movies on my own and i hope you soon feel like the strong woman who is seeing what she wants when she can and doesn't have to wait for company. You are strong. Own it!

    ReplyDelete