Monday, October 26, 2020

Freaks and Geeks

 





It’s the spooky season in the Watson Johnson house, and we are eating up all of our favorites, which include (but are not limited to) Hocus PocusGhostbusters, Halloweentown, E.T., Hotel Transylvania, The Munsters, The Addams Family, and (finally, for the first time) Scream.

 

As such, my apologies for the Christmas spreadsheet being late- my brain isn’t in Christmas mode yet. (Although, allow me to assure you that the moment we hit November 1, the Christmas playlist will be on and I will gladly consume any movie that includes “mistletoe” in the title.)


Christmas Movies 2020

 

Anyway, anyway….


I don't talk about politics on the blog even though, as my therapist says, it's my jam. As the wonky nerd that I am though I will talk until my final breath about how important it is for you to vote. Vote 411 is a great resource to learn more about your ballot choices before you vote. 

 

 


The Bible Binge: Faith Adjacent

Purity Culture

 

I adore this spinoff from my beloved Bible Binge podcast, in which Erin Moon searches for biblical “reception in unlikely places.” I mentioned a couple of blog posts ago, I have been really pondering my own experience with purity culture. This podcast spoke to so many experiences of my youth, holding them up to the light without making fun of them, just searching for truth and meaning- all of it engrossing, in my opinion.

 

 


The SSR Podcast

Episode 117: Meet Kirsten

 

SSR is one of my most favorite ever podcasts, in which Alli Hoff Kosik and a guest read young adult literature (normally from their own youth) and reexamine it in light of adult minds and perspectives. I was excited for this episode with Kate Kennedy from the Be There In Five podcast (I truly love Be There in Five but-important caveat- Kate’s episodes are so long, often two hours, I have to really prepare myself to pay attention for that long to just Kate alone talking- I’m sure that says something about my attention span).

 

I was just honestly jazzed because this was an American Girl book. My Samantha doll remains to this day my favorite gift ever, and I own all of the Kirsten books, so I was familiar with her story. Alli and Kate dig deep into American Girl and its origins and subsequent buyout by Mattel. It’s all fascinating in the best way.

 



Open Book by Jessica Simpson

 

I’m only halfway through listening to this on Audible and I’m loving it so much I have to gush about it on here. I watched Nick and Jessica’s television show and always felt such affinity for Nick-he was closer to my age, and it always seemed that he was the mature one. Listening to Jessica’s story is captivating. She doesn’t deny at all her mistakes, but it is so fascinating to understand where she was coming from, what her life was like leading up to her stardom, how much making a reality show truly changed the course of her life. I’m forever and always interested in other people’s lives (which is why memoirs are my thing), and of course throw in divorce and I will devour it.



We are heading into the darkest days, and in this crazy year everything feels anxious around the edges. I'm holding onto this time with my girls full of movies and books and nights in and trying to learn the dance to BTS' "Dynamite." Which is harder than it looks.





No comments:

Post a Comment