Wednesday, April 3, 2019

Suspend Donna Martin, Suspend Us All...



Listening to Olivia and my Johnny croon “Summer Nights” makes for a pretty fabulous lunch hour.

Last night, the girls and I finally reached what is likely my most favorite episode of 90210 ever, in which the entire Class of 1993 walks out of their final exams in the most 90s protest of all time, “Donna Martin graduates!”

Anyway...

This past weekend I managed to watch two movies in the theater, which is a lot even for me. But I was desperate to see Us.

I don’t mind at all seeing movies by myself, but I have found myself wishing that I had managed to find someone to go with me to see this one because it is a movie that requires much dissection and thought processing after it’s over. I’m still piecing through much of it in my head. I am most fortunate to live in 2019, though, and listened to three separate podcasts about it- 1A, Pop Culture Happy Hour, and (the best one) Still Processing, which compared the storyline to Toni Morrison’s Beloved and was a bit mind blowing to me.

The last time that I can remember feeling this much soul stirring over a movie was District 9 and I completely took for granted having a husband to talk it over with, days and even months after we watched it. It’s these tiny little pieces of life that hit you hard and make you feel ridiculously alone.

The girls came home early from their dad’s house on Sunday and so we also managed to see Dumbo, which I thought was very good. It’s quite different from the animated Dumbo, but in ways that make sense for this telling. Tim Burton can be one of my favorite directors (see Beetlejuice and Edward Scissorhands), and he can also be one of the most exasperating (see Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and character choices that I may never forgive him and Johnny Depp for). Dumbo is going to be among my more favorite Tim Burton movies, with its message of the magic of a mother’s love of course going straight to my heart.

In the meantime, track is in full swing, and my girl is doing amazingly well. I have promised the girls that I will watch all of the Marvel movies in order to be properly prepared for The Avengers: Endgame. (I did really enjoy Captain Marvel, which I do recognize was marketed to women about my age, and it has given me hope that with Betsy’s help I will be able to understand the other movies that spring from these comic books-I have a hard time following comic book movies sometimes.)


Spring is here, Olivia is now singing "Strange Twist of Fate" from one of the most underrated movies of all time, Two of a Kind, (I know, maybe I just love Olivia and John too much), and life, for today, seems most charmed.







No comments:

Post a Comment