Monday, August 26, 2013

Settling in to the new bend in the road...

So, today was kind of officially the first day of the rest of my life. Today I allowed two girls to climb onto the school bus and ride off to school. Which was sad and difficult and not fun. But I managed to get through it by allowing myself a cry and then plunging into cleaning the bathrooms, which I must admit was more fun than one might imagine. I mean, for the first time in nearly a decade, the cleaning the bathrooms could take absolutely as long as I wished. I didn't have to hurry to be sure to pick someone up on time, I didn't have that nagging feeling that I should be *finishing my book* instead of doing silly things like cleaning my house, I didn't stare longingly at the bed and think, well, I could just take a little nap. No, today the bathrooms were cleaned properly in the first time in a really long time.

Nick and I then decided to totally up the ante for what our first offcail day to ourselves in 10 years and went to the movies. IN the middle of the day. It was a blast, I tell you. We got the early discount, so our tickets were only $8.50 total. We were not hungry for lunch yet, so we weren't even tempted by the concession stand.

Nick wanted to see Percy Jackson, and I wanted to see The Butler, so we compromised and saw Elysium. I enjoyed it very much, I love to watch an action movie with an actual point to it, and this fit the bill. It was not as good as District 9, but I didn't expect it to be. District 9 would be in my top ten movies that I've seen in the past decade, were I to make a list. And not because I loved watching it so much, but because it lingered in my soul for days and days after I watched it, and even now I feel like it made such an impact on my life.

Anyway, we got home and got our girls off the bus and heard about all of the wonderful things that they had spent their day doing. It does make it easier that they are both loving their teachers and their classes this year.

Tomorrow will be a true test of what I can manage to do with the whole day to myself. My problem, as always, is that I want to do 10 million things, and can't prioritize to save my life, and I will end up spending the day, you know, finishing my book. That's how I roll.

No comments:

Post a Comment